Thursday, November 17, 2011

It shook me by the hand, and then it punched me in the ear.






It shook me by the hand, and then it punched me in the ear. By Ralph Dorey. Tulenizdat/Ralph Dorey, 2011. 24pp., illustrated throughout, 21x14,8cm. Edition of 50 (second edition).

'It shook me by the hand, and then it punched me in the ear' is a publication by artist Ralph Dorey. It contains a juxtaposition of texts, drawings and photographs blending together to give a clear, cohesive poetic rhythm - a rhythm that to me signifies the "fluid nature of people and places" especially.

The book/zine obviously has a pretty great title (a title that comes across a lot quieter than one might expect though), which sort of feeds into the opening text (which really resonated with me) and further unfolds in the art work and photographs.


Book description:

" 'It shook me by the hand, and then it punched me in the ear' is an archive of images and a set of marginal notes.

It is concerned with moss, mid-winter, the fluid nature of people and places, old growth, new decay and the gentle raging of systems.

The cover image is from The Magnificent Seven and the title is an idea of Kurt Vonnegut's. This is second laser printed edition of 50."

No comments: