Friday, October 21, 2011

Memorable Sunsets.






Memorable Sunsets. By Tucker Nichols. Café Royal Books, 2011. 24pp., illustrated throughout, 14x20cm (poster 38x26cm). Limited and numbered edition of 100.

A beautiful premise, with a really wonderful result I think. See more of Tucker Nichols work by going here.

Book description:

"I bought this black and white photograph for fifty cents at a thrift store in Alameda, California. It took me a minute to realize it was of a dramatic sunset over the Pacific Ocean.

Even in color, photographs of sunsets never seem to capture the experience. But before color film was available, I wonder what it was like to get your pictures back from that time you saw that unbelievable sunset. What does color look like in black and white? I assume nothing, but then how can you tell this was such a vibrant sky?


My studio is in an old military building facing the Pacific, and recently I’ve seen some epic sunsets: cracks of neon pink below giant clouds of orange and purple.

At the same time, I’ve been making these psychedelic stripe paintings with gouache and ink on paper.

I’ve collected a group of them here - printed in black and white - just to understand what it would look like."

No comments: