Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Papercuts.








Papercuts. A book of Paper craft. By Matthew Shlian. Matthew Shlian, 2009. 68pp., full color illustrations, 8,5x11". Includes CD with PDF files of each design + blank templates and bonus characters. Signed copies available. Images from Matt Shilian's blog.

"As a paper engineer my work is rooted in print media, book arts and commercial design.

Beginning with an initial fold, a single action causes a transfer of energy to subsequent folds, which ultimately manifest in drawings and three dimensional forms.

I use my engineering skills to create kinetic sculpture which have lead to collaborations with scientists at the University of Michigan. We work on the nanoscale, translating paper structures to micro origami. Our investigations extend to visualizing cellular division and solar cell development. Researchers see paper engineering as a metaphor for scientific principals; I see their inquiry as basis for artistic inspiration.

In my studio I am a collaborator, explorer and inventor. I begin with a system of folding and at a particular moment the material takes over. Guided by wonder, my work is made because I cannot visualize its final realization; in this way I come to understanding through curiosity."


This is an interesting guy, and I really like this book! Found via core 77.

No comments: